Why Engage a registered Architect for your project?

A registered Architect has undertaken an architecture course at a university, completed a degree in that course, completed a further 2 years work in an architectural office while keeping a log book of work undertaken, and completed a registration exam to become a registered Architect.

This study involves both design and construction methodology, and includes practical experience. Most importantly, the study and further work practice is design orientated, ensuring that a client brief is given appropriate and considered attention, while matching a client budget. An Architect Design is still identifiable as a pinnacle of building achievement.


Does Your Project Need a Planning Permit?

Nearly every project requires a Planning Permit, and you should allow for this when making decisions about your project. Similarly, a Building Surveyor can not issue a Building Permit without written advice from the Planning Authority that a Planning Permit for a particular project will not be required. It is therefore necessary for project drawings to be submitted to the Planning Authority in order to obtain written acknowledgement that they have viewed the drawings and a Planning Permit will not be required. This document can then be submitted to a Building Surveyor for inclusion in the Building Permit Application.


What Does a Building Permit Cover?

A Building Permit issued by a registered Building Surveyor is written permission certifying that your plans comply with National Construction Codes and Australian Standards. The quote for his services covers the work to inspect and ratify the drawings, issue a Building Permit, and make mandatory inspections of the building works to check that these comply with the Building Codes. The Building Act 1993 requires that a Building Permit be issued before any building work can proceed.


Who are Registered Building Practitioners?

A Registered Building Practitioner includes Draftsmen and Building Designers, Structural Engineers, Building Surveyors, Building Inspectors, Builders, Demolition Contractors, All Building Sub Contractors such as Carpenters, Bricklayers, Electricians etc. A registered Architect has separate registration under the Architects Registration Board, but all must have professional indemnity insurance before being able to carry out related building work. To check a Building Practitioners Registration refer to www.buildingcommission.com.au


What Does It Cost To Have Plans Prepared?

This may vary depending upon the extent of the work required, and the size and the complexity of the project. Planworks will provide a written quote for work once these are known, but we recognise that the majority of documentation work undertaken on the Mornington Peninsula is done by drafting services, and we see these as our competition. As a result we aim to keep our fees at the same level as those of the larger drafting services here. We find that on numerous occasions that we are commended by Builders for the extent of project documentation provided to them, making their work and the building process, much easier for them.

Normally, a fixed fee quote will be provided to you at our first meeting if a design brief and budget can be forwarded to this office prior to our meeting.


What Other Consultant Costs may Be Incurred?

Your project may require input from other registered building consultants. An Architect is qualified to provide design and documentation services, but is not qualified to provide a range of other services, and must therefore seek these from those professionals. Planworks have been working for many years with qualified professionals providing specialist services and will engage these on your behalf to ensure proper input and documentation is achieved. Should a specialist consultant be required for unknown specialist work, Planworks will seek out a best quote for your consideration so that this work can be included.

All consultant work is paid by separate account from the consultant to you for payment directly to that consultant. Consultants for your project may include:

  • Land Surveyor
  • Geotechnical Engineer ( soil report )
  • Structural Engineer
  • Bushfire Assessment Consultant
  • Energy rating Consultant
  • Building Surveyor
  • Landscape Designer
  • Town Planning Consultant


What Other Costs May be Incurred in the Design Process?

The fixed fee offered by Planworks covers the design and documentation work according to the brief you submit at the beginning of the design process. We will submit preliminary design drawings for external and internal works until you are happy with what you see on these drawings. Once these drawings have been agreed upon by you, the design process is completed and the permit documentation processes must begin. The Client / Architect Agreement includes clauses covering additional costs for work incurred when you change your mind after the design processes have been completed. The cost of making changes to agreed design drawings will be on an hourly rate for those changes to be made, and will then revert to the fixed fee. These extra costs will be included in the next account submitted for payment.